Leave a reply
Tips for Staying Healthy
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Wash fruits and vegetables carefully; they may have come from a country where pesticide and sanitation laws are lax.
- Use unsaturated oils, such as olive or canola, rather than hydrogenated or semisolid fats, such as margarine.
- Cook meats and other foods at temperatures high enough to kill pathogens; clean utensils and cutting surfaces; store food properly.
- Wash your hands frequently. You transfer more germs from hand to mouth than any other means of transmission.
- When you have a cold or flu, don’t demand antibiotics from your doctor — they aren’t effective against viruses.
- If you’re taking antibiotics, continue for the entire time prescribed quitting as soon as you feel well is an ideal way to select for antibiotic-resistant germs.
- Practice safe sex.
- Don’t smoke; avoid smoky places.
- If you drink, do so in moderation. Never drive when your reflexes or judgment are impaired.
- Exercise regularly: walk, swim, jog, dance, garden. Do something you enjoy that burns calories and maintains flexibility.
- Get enough sleep.
- Make a list of friends and family who make you feel more alive and happy. Spend time with one of them at least once a week.