1. A primary root grows from 5 cm to 19 cm in a week. Calculate the actual growth rate (AGR) and relative growth rate (RGR) over the period.
2.In which category will you place this flower?
Choose the correct option.
(a) SDP (b) LDP
(c) DNP (d) L-SDP
3. Which of the following is correct match for Column I and Column II?
(a) A – (iv), B – (ii), C – (vi), D – (i)
(b) A – (vi), B – (i), C – (ii), D – (iii)
(c) A – (iv), B – (i), C – (ii), D – (iii)
(d) A – (iv), B – (v), C – (vi), D – (i)
4. Which one is the example of dedifferentiation?
(a) Precambium and vascular cambium
(b) Cork cambium and interfascicular cambium
(c) Cork cambium and vascular cambium
(d) Procambium and cork cambium
5. Match the following column.
6. In the expression, W1 = W0ert (exponential growth), W1, W0, r, t represents.
7. Which of the above mentioned PGR are acidic in nature? Choose the correct option accordingly.
8. Temperature required for vernalisation is
(a) 5°C to 10°C
(b) 5°C to 15°C
(c) 0°C to 5°C
(d) 3°C to 17°C.
9. The phytohormone which induces triple response is
(a) IAA (b) ABA
(c) GA3 (d) C2H4.
10. The common biosynthetic inhibitor of gibberellic acid is
(a) rosic acid
(b) jasmonic acid
(c) citric acid
(d) lactic acid.
11. Gibberellic acid induces flower
(a) in short day plants under long day conditions
(b) in day-neutral plants under dark conditions
(c) in some gymnospermic plants only
(d) in long day plants under short day conditions.
12. Differentiation of shoot is controlled by
(a) high auxin : cytokinin ratio
(b) high cytokinin : auxin ratio
(c) high gibberellin : auxin ratio
(d) high gibberellin : cytokinin ratio.
13. Plasticity in plant growth means that
(a) plant roots are extensible
(b) plant development is dependent on the environment
(c) stems can extend
(d) none of the above.
14. Match the following
15. To increase sugar production in sugarcanes, they are sprayed with
(a) IAA (b) cytokinin
(c) gibberellin (d) ethylene.
16. Which of the following hormones does not occur naturally in plants ?
(a) GA (b) ABA
(c) 2, 4-D (d) IAA
17. Diagram A and B indicate the shape of leaves in larkspur and buttercup respectively. Which of the given options is correct for A and B?
(a) The juvenile and adult leaves of larkspur differ in size due to genetic and plant growth regulator factors.
(b) Both leaves of buttercup differ in size due to genetic and intercellular factors.
(c) Both larkspur and buttercup leaf size variation is due to habitat plasticity.
(d) None of the above.
18. Parthenocarpic development of fruit is brought about by
(a) NAA, 2-T (b) 2, 4-D
(c) NAA, 2, 4-D (d) 2, 4, 5-T.
19. To speed up the malting process in brewing industry the growth hormone used is
(a) auxin (b) gibberellin
(c) kinetin (d) ethylene.
20. Which among the following is not a function of cytokinins?
(a) Essential for cytokinesis during cell division
(b) Delays the senescence of leaves
(c) Helps in fruit ripening
(d) Helps to overcome apical dominance
21. The most abundant naturally occurring plant hormone is
(a) indole-3 acetic acid (b) ABA (c) cytokinin (d) IBA.
22. In plants, auxin synthesis occurs in
(a) cortex (c) xylem cells
23. Cytokinins are mostly
(a) glucosides (c) amino-purines
(b) phloem cells (d) root and shoot tips.
(b) phenolics (d) organic acids.
24. Cytokinins help to produce all except
(a) new leaves
(b) chloroplast in leaves
(c) lateral shoot growth and adventitious shoot formation
(d) rooting on cut stem.
25. Natural cytokinins are synthesized in regions where rapid cell division occurs. Such regions are
(a) root apices
(b) developing shoot buds
(c) young fruits
(d) all of these.
26. Plant hormones play a role in regulating seed germination. The graph shows changes in hormone concentrations (left axis) and hypocotyl growth (right axis) over time for moong bean. Which hormone(s) most likely regulates hypocotyl (bean sprout) growth during moong bean germination?
(a) Gibberellic acid (b) Auxin
(c) Cytokinin alone (d) Both (a) and (b)
27. A store placed a large basket of fruit containing oranges and unripe bananas by the cash register. There were too many bananas to fit in the basket, so they put the rest in the back room. The next day, the bananas in the basket had ripened, but the ones in the back room had not. What is the most likely explanation?
(a) The heat in the store had accelerated the ripening process.
(b) The cytokinins in the oranges diffused into the bananas where the two fruits touched each other and triggered the bananas to ripen.
(c) The auxin in the oranges diffused into the bananas where the two fruits touched each other and triggered the bananas to ripen.
(d) The oranges had released ethylene into the air, which triggered the bananas to ripen.
28. The correct process of phytochrome conversion is
29. Which of the following statements are true about the experiment shown in the figure ?
(a) The red light inhibits seed germination.
(b) The photoreceptor is cryptochrome.
(c) The active form is the red-light absorbing form.
(d) None of these.
30. Select the correct option regarding the phytohormone to which the given molecular structure belongs.
(a) The hormone promotes femaleness in most flowers.
(b) The hormone promotes apical dominance.
(c) The hormone usually decreases the size of stem, leaves, flowers and fruits.
(d) The hormones breaks seed dormancy by synthesis of certain enzymes.
31. A young dicot seedling (e.g., soyabean) is laid horizontally on a surface and is subjected to gravity stimulus. The shoot bends in upward direction and the root bends in downward direction. Which out of the following is the possible reason for this movement?
(a) Redistribution of auxins throughout the seedlings is responsible for the stimulatory unequal growth in shoots and roots.
(b) Redistribution of cytokinins throughout the seedlings is responsible for the stimulatory unequal growth in roots and shoots.
(c) Redistribution of auxins in roots and cytokinins in shoots is responsible for stimulatory unequal growth.
(d) Redistribution of auxins in shoots and cytokininis in roots is responsible for stimulatory unequal growth.
32. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer by using the codes given below the lists.
a) A B C D
3 2 1 4
B) A B C D
4 1 2 3
C) A B C D
3 1 2 4
D) A B C D
1 2 3 4
34. If a dark period of a short day plant is interrupted by a flash of light, it will
(a) flower immediately
(b) produce many flowers
(c) produce abnormal flowers
(d) not produce flowers.
35. Which of the following is incorrectly matched?
(a) Explant -» Excised plant part used for callus formation
(b) Cytokinin -» Root initiation in callus
(c) Somatic embryo —» Embryo produced from a vegetative cell
(d) Anther culture —» Haploid plants
37. In 1926, the Japanese biologist Eiichi Kurosawa showed that the bakanae (“foolish seedling”) disease of rice was caused by a substance produced by the fungus Gibberella fujikori. The substance was named gibberellin and was shown to cause elongation of stem tissues. Which of the following statements about gibberellin is false?
(a) Pea plants carrying the dwarf mutation would be expected to have higher levels of gibberellin in their stems than normal plants.
(b) If gibberellin is applied to the stems of dwarf pea plants, the stems elongate so that plant reach normal height.
(c) Dwarf pea plants have a mutation in the gibberellin biosynthetic pathway.
(d) Normal pea plants respond to gibberellin by growing even taller.
38. Which of the given statements is not true w.r.t. Cholodny-Went model?
(a) Acceleration of growth on shaded side accompanies retardation of growth on the irradiated side.
(b) Illumination from one side causes transport of auxin towards the shaded side.
(c) Auxin differential accounts for the growth differential observed in plants.
(d) Auxin movement is polar, being basipetal in both stem and root.
39. Given below is graph showing the growth of lettuce embryos in darkness, red and far red light. Identify the correct statements pertaining to A and B on the basis of the given graph.
(a) A shows the growth in darkness, while B refers to growth in far red light.
(b) A shows growth in red light, while B shows growth in darkness.
(c) A represents growth in darkness, while B represents growth in red light.
(d) A represents growth in far red light, while B represents growth in red light.
40. X and Y are two phytohormones. Given below are statements pertaining to them.
On the basis of the given statements, identify the correct code w.r.t. to X and Y.
(i) X causes abscission, but does so, much less effectively than exogenous Y.
(ii) X has no direct role in abscission, but causes premature senescence, which in turn promotes production of Y.
(iii) It is Y and not X, which is the initiator of the actual abscission process.
(a) X refers to ABA and Y refers to ethylene.
(b) X refers to ethylene and Y refers to ABA.
(c) X refers to ABA and Y refers to dormin.
(d) Given information is inadequate.