NEET Digestive System MCQs May ’17
1. Which of the following is the function of enterogastrone?
(a) It inhibits the secretion of gastric juice.
(b) It stimulates the secretion of digestive juices in the stomach.
(c) It stimulates the flow of pancreatic juice.
(d) It regulates the flow of bile
2. Match Column I with Column – II and select the correct option from the codes given below
4. The epithelial cells lining the stomach of vertebrates are protected from damage by HCI because
(a) HCI is too dilute
(b) the epithelial cells are resistant to the action of HCI
(c) HCI is neutralized in the stomach
(d) the epithelial cells are covered by a mucous secretion
5. The enzyme enterokinase helps in the conversion of
(a) caesinogen into caesin
(b) trypsinogen into trypsin
(c) pepsinogen into pepsin
(d) proteins into polypeptides
6. Match Column -I with Column – II and select the correct option from the codes given below.
(a) A – (iii), B – (ii), C – (iv), D – (i), E – (v)
(b) A – (ii), B – (v), C – (i), D – (iv), E – (iii)
(c) A – (iii), B – (iv), C – (i), D – (v), E – (ii)
(d) A – (iv), B – (iii), C – (i), D – (ii), E – (v)
7. Carrier ions like Na+ facilitate the absorption of substances like
(a) amino acids and glucose
(b) glucose and fatty acids
(c) fatty acids and glycerol
(d) fructose and some amino acids.
8. Anxiety and eating spicy food together in an otherwise normal human, may lead to
(a) indigestion (b) jaundice
(c) diarrhoea (d) vomiting.
9. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Mucosal epithelium has goblet cells which secrete mucus for lubrication.
(b) Mucosa forms gastric glands in the stomach and crypts in between the bases of villi in intestine.
(c) Cells lining the villi has brush border or microvilli.
(d) All the four basic layers in the wall of gut never show modifications in different parts of the alimentary canal.
10. Point out the wrong enzymatic reaction
11. The common bile duct in human is formed by the joining of
(a) pancreatic duct and bile duct
(b) cystic duct and hepatic duct
(c) cystic duct and pancreatic duct
(d) hepatic duct and pancreatic duct
12. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Faecal accumulation in the rectum initiates a neural reflex causing an urge for its removal.
(b) Irregular bowel movements cause constipation.
(c) In diarrhoea absorption of food is increased.
(d) All of these
13. What will happen if the secretion of parietal cells of gastric glands is blocked with an inhibitor?
(a) In the absence of HCI secretion, inactive pepsinogen is not converted into the active enzyme pepsin
(b) Enterokinase will not be released from the duodenal mucosa and so trypsinogen is not converted to trypsin
(c) Gastric juice will be deficient in chymosin
(d) Gastric juice will be deficient in pepsinogen
14. Which of the following is not true regarding intestinal villi?
(a) They possess microvilli.
(b) They increase the surface area.
(c) They are supplied with capillaries and the lacteal vessels.
(d) They only participate in digestion of fats
15. Which of the following is not a salivary gland?
(a) Sublingual (b) Submaxillary
(c) Lachrymal (d) Parotid
16. If you chew on a piece of bread long enough, it will begin to taste sweet because
(a) maltase is breaking down maltose
(b) lipases are forming fatty acids
(c) amylase is breaking down starches to disaccharides
(d) disaccharides are forming glucose.
17. Refer the given flowchart
18. Major utility of breaking up of food into small bits during chewing is
(a) to reduce suface area of the food eaten up
(b) to increase surface area of the food eaten up
(c) to make the food soluble
(d) to enjoy taste of food.
19. If we take food rich in lime juice, then
(a) action of ptyalin on starch is enhanced
(b) action of ptyalin on starch is reduced
(c) action of ptyalin on starch is unaffected
(d) action of ptyalin on starch stops.
20. Select the incorrect statement.
(a) Lipases and nucleases are not present in pancreatic juice.
(b) Goblet cells secrete mucus.
(c) Brunner’s glands are sub-mucosal glands.
(d) Carboxypeptidase catalyses conversion of proteins, peptones and proteoses to dipeptides.
21. If pH of stomach is 1.6, then which enzyme will digest protein?
(a) Amylase (b) Trypsin
(c) Erypsin (d) Pepsin
22. Crypts of Lieberkuhn are present in
(a) pancreas and secrete pancreatic juice
(b) small intestine and secrete digestive enzymes
(c) stomach and secrete dilute HCI
(d) stomach and secrete trypsin
23. In the gastrointestinal tract the Meissner’s plexus and the Auerbach’s plexus occur respectively in the
(a) lamina propria and muscularis mucosa
(b) submucosa and muscularis externa
(c) submucosa and mucosa
(d) mucosa and muscularis externa.
24. Bile salts act as activator of which enzyme?
(a) Pepsinogen (b) Trypsi nogen
(c) Lipase (d) Pancreatic amylase
25. Wharton’s duct is the duct of
(a) submandibular gland
(b) parotid gland
(c) sublingual gland
(d) all of above.
26. One of the digestive juices that lacks enzymes but aids digestion is
(a) bile (b) chyle
(c) chyme (d) succus entericus.
27. A lubricant, mucin in saliva is made up of
(a) actin and myosin (b) phospholipids
(c) polyunsaturated fats (d) glycoproteins.
28. Which one of the following pairs of the kind of cells and their secretion is correctly matched ?
(a) oxyntic cells – a secretion with pH between 2.0 and 3.0
(b) alpha cells of islets of Langerhans – secretion that decreases blood sugar level
(c) Kupffer cells – a digestive enzyme that hydrolyses nucleic acids
(d) sebaceous glands – a secretion that evaporates for cooling
29. When glucose is administered orally, which will not happen?
(a) Digestion of glucose
(b) Absorption of glucose
(c) Assimilation of glucose
(d) All of the above
30. Immediately after fat absorption monoglycerides move into
(a) lymph vessels (b) bloodvessels
(c) villi (d) chylomicrons.