NEET BioDiversity and Conversation Practice Questions 2017
1) The single horned rhinoceros is protected at________
(a) Kanha National Park
(b) Kaziranga National Park
(c) Anshi National Park
(d) Rajiv Gandhi National Park.
2. Conservation of organisms in natural habitat is called
(a) ex situ conservation
(b) in situ conservation
(c) both (a) and (b)
(d) none of these.
3. The alien species introduced into Lake Victoria that was responsible for the extinction of cichlid fishes is
(a) African catfish (b) water hyacinth
(c) carrot grass (d) Nile perch.
4. Which of the following species is restricted to a specific area?
(a) Sibling species (b) Allopatric species
(c) Sympatric species (d) Endemic species
5. Select the incorrect statement.
(a) Species diversity increases as we move away from the equator towards the poles.
(b) Stellar’s sea cow and passenger pigeon got extinct due to over exploitation by man.
(c) Lantana and Eichhornia are invasive weed species in India.
(d) Among animals, insects are the most species-rich taxonomic group.
6. All the following are included under in situ conservation except
(a) National Park (b) Sanctuary
(c) Botanical garden (d) Biosphere Reserve.
7. Kanha National Park is located in________and is famous
(a) Madhya Pradesh, elephant
(b) Madhya Pradesh, tiger
(c) Odisha, tiger
(d) Assam, elephant
8. Oran is a/an
(a) sacred grove (b) sacred lake
(c) sacred animal (d) endangered animal.
9. Which of the following is not an invasive species?
(a) Parthenium hysterophorus
(b) Ocimum sanctum
(c) Lantana camara
(d) Eichhornia crassipes
10. Given here is a pie chart representation of the extent of global diversity of invertebrates. What groups the four portions (A-D) represent respectively?
11. One of the chief reasons among the following for the depletion in the number of species making it endangered is
(a) over-hunting and poaching
(b) greenhouse effect
(c) competition and predation
(d) habitat destruction.
12. The diversity of organisms sharing the same habitat or community is termed as
(a) alpha diversity (b) beta diversity (c) gamma diversity (d) delta diversity.
13. ‘Broadly utilitarian’ category for the conservation of biodiversity does not include
(a) bioprospecting (b) pollination (c) aesthetic value (d) climate regulation.
14. Biosphere Reserves differ from National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries because in the former
(a) human beings are not allowed to enter
(b) people are an integral part of the system
(c) plants are paid greater attention than the animals
(d) living organisms are brought from all over the world and preserved for posterity.
15. Keystone species deserve protection because these
(a) are capable of surviving in harsh environmental conditions
(b) indicate presence of certain minerals in the soil
(c) have become rare due to over exploitation
(d) play an important role in supporting other species.