1) Edaphology is connected with the
a) Plant and biosphere
b) Soil and living microorganisms
c) Animals and ecosystem
d) Soil and biosphere.
2) At which latitude is the heat gain through insolation approximately equal to the heat loss through terrestrial radiation?
a) 22.5o North and South
b) 40o North and South
c) 42.5o North and South
d) 66o North and South
3) Which one represents a correct match between the organism and its ecological niche?
a) Vallisneria and pond
b) Desert Locust (Schistocerca) and desert
c) Vultures and dense forest
d) Plant lice (aphids) and leaf.
4) Photosynthesis is absent in the
a) Photic layer
b) Aphotic layer
c) Benthic layer
d) Pelagic layer
5) The functional aspect of a species with reference to its place of occurrence is
b) Ecological niche
6) A characteristic feature of a halophyte is the
7) The dominant producers of the neritic zone of the sea are :
8) Biotic potential is the increase in population under
a) Natural conditions
b) Climatic conditions
c) Optimum conditions
d) Given conditions
9) Competition is most severe between two
a) Closely related species growing in different niches
b) Closely related species growing in the same habitat
c) Distantly related species growing in the same habitat
d) Distantly related species growing in different niches
10) The aggregate of processes that determine the size and composition of any population is known as
a) Population dynamics
b) Population dispersal
c) Population explosion
d) Population density
11) The population of an area tends to increase when
a) Reproductivity decreases
b) Immigration increases
c) Emigration occurs
d) Predation increases
12) After an exponential increase, population becomes stagnant. The growth curve is
13) 80 fishes were caught, marked and released in a pond. Later 100 fishes were caught at random. 40 of them were found to be marked. The number of fishes in the pond is
14) The first plants to reappear on a burnt forest area tend to be
15) Which one is true?
a) Commensalism when none of the interacting populations affect each other
b) Symbiosis when the interaction is useful to both the populations
c) Symbiosis when neither populations affect each other
d) Commensalism when the interaction is useful to both the populations.
16) Primary succession is the development of communities in a
a) Newly exposed habitat
b) Cleared forest area
c) Freshly harvested crop field
d) Pond filled after a dry season.
17) Which is not a primary coloniser?
c) Blue-green Algae
18) Which is not characteristic of intestinal symbionts?
a) Feeding on extra food of host
b) Providing vitamins to host
c) Anaerobic respiration
d) Aerobic respiration
19) Mutualism occurs between a
a) Butterfly and flower
b) Escherichia coli and man
c) Zoochlorellae and Hydra
d) Hermit Crab and sea Anemone.
20) Which of the following is a sigmoid curve?
a) Rate of transpiration
b) Rate of respiration
c) Rate of photosynthesis
d) Growth of population.
21) Rhizobium bacteria and root nodules of Pea have an association called
22) The transition zone between two communities is the
23) Organisms spending most of the time in the transitional area between two communities are
a) Keystone species
b) Critical link species
c) Exotic species
d) Edge species.
24) In Mullerian mimicry, the mimic is
a) Harmless but resembles an obnoxious model
b) Harmless but resembles the background
c) Harmful but resembles a non-toxic model
d) Harmful and resembles a model which is also harmful to predator.
25) Roots of higher plants develop mycorrhiza for obtaining
d) All the above.
26) A keystone species should be protected as it
a) Is capable of surviving in harsh conditions of environment
b) Indicates the presence of certain minerals in the soil
c) Has become rare due to over-exploitation
d) Plays an important role in supporting other species.
27) The correct order of succession in a xerarch is
a) Annual herb stage, perennial herb stage, lichen moss stage, scrub stage, forest
b) Perennial herb stage, annual herb stage, lichen moss stage, scrub stage, forest
c) Lichen moss stage, annual herb stage, perennial herb stage, scrub stag, forest
d) Scrub stage, forest, annual herb stage, perennial herb stage, lichen moss stage
28) Psammophytes are plants growing on which kind of soil?