1) The metallic core of the earth is known as
2) Iron reacts with CO to give
a) tetra carbonyl iron(o)
b) penta carbonyl iron(o)
c) penta carbonyl iron(II)
d) tricarbonyl iron(II)
3) A red solid, which on heating gives oxygen
4) The blue peroxide of chromium is
5) In [Ni(dmg)2] the oxidation number and co-ordination number of the metal are respectively
6) German Silver is an alloy of
7) The gas evolved when copper sulphate is heated is
c) SO2 and O2
d) SO3 and SO2
8) Purple of Cassius is a colloidal solution of gold obtained by reducing AuCI3 with
9) The compound used in vulcanisation of paper, fibre etc
10) The number of transition series of metals is
11) Which triad of elements has the configuration (n-1)d10ns2?
a) Cu, Ag, Au
b) Pt, Pd, Ir
c) Hg, Cd, Zn
d) Ag, Au, Hg
12) The oxidising agent which converts MnO42- to MnO4– is
13) The common oxidising agent in Etard’s reaction is
14) The radioactive element among lanthanides is
15) The common oxidation state of lanthanides is +3. The element which exhibits +2 oxidation state among lanthanides is
16) Among the first row transition metals, the highest oxidation state is exhibited by
17) Chromium is used as a protective and noncorrosive plating on other metals. Which of the following statements is not a correct interpretation of the properties of chromium?
a) Most transition metals are inert towards acids
b) a protective oxide layer is formed on the surface of Cr
c) It has a +ve value for its standard reduction potential
d) a protective oxide formed is Cr2O3
18) A pair of transition metals which can exhibit zero oxidation state in their compounds is
a) Cu, Ag
b) Co, Ni
c) Fe, Ni
d) Mu, Fe
19) Copper pyrites on roasting gives
a) Cu2O, FeO and SO2
b) Cu2S, FeO and SO2
c) CuO, Fe2 and SO2
d) Cu2O, Fe23 and SO3
20) Which of the following is not true of the NiCI42- ion?
a) Nickel is in the sp3 hybridized state
b) the complex ion is colourless
c) It is para magnetic
d) the oxidation number of Nickel is +2
21) A corrosive sublimate is
c) Hg (NH2)CI
22) A chemical used for preservation of timber is
23) The most suitable method for the separation of lanthanides is
c) solvent extraction
d) the ion-exchange method
24) The “Memory metal” is an alloy of
a) Ni, Ti
b) Ti, Cu
c) Ce, AI
d) Fe, Co, Ni
25) Which of the following statements is wrong about d-block elements?
a) The electronic configuration of these elements have two incomplete shells
b) The last electron enters into the d-orbital of the ante-penultimate shell
c) The last electron enters into the d-orbital of the penultimate shell
d) They are all metals
26) In transition elements, the incoming electron occupies the (n-1) d sub shell in preference to the
c) (n-1) p-subshell
d) (n+1) s-subshell
27) The chemical formula of bauxite is
28) Anhydrous is prepared from
a) Conc. HCL and aluminum
c) Dry HCl gas and heated aluminium metal
d) Diluted HCl and aluminium metal
29) formation involves the evolution of a large quantity of heat which makes it useful in
c) Indoor photography
d) Thermite welding
30) Alum is
31) Elements of group 13 not reacting with water are
d) All the above
32) The ionic radius of Cr is minimum in which of the following compounds?
33) Which of the following cations has the least ionic radius?
34) With an increase in temperature, the conductivity of metals
c) remains unaffected
d) may increase or decrease
35) The conductivity of the metal decreases with an increase in temperature because
a) the kinetic energy of the electrons increases
b) the movement of electron becomes haphazard
c) the kernels start vibrating
d) the metal becomes hot and starts emitting radiations
36) Metals possess lustre when freshly cut across because
a) They have a hard surface and light is reflected back
b) Their crystal structure contains ordered arrangement of their constituent atoms
c) They contain loosely bound electrons which absorb the photons and re-emit them
d) They are obtained from the minerals on which light has been falling for years
37) Metals are malleable and ductile because of
a) the presence of mobile electrons
b) the slipping of kernels over each other
c) The non-directional nature of their bonds
d) Their high density and melting point
38) Which of the following is a non-directional bond?
a) Metallic bond
b) Covalent bond
c) Co-ordinate bond
d) All are directional
39) The phosphate of a metal has the formula . The formula of its chloride would be
40) What is the oxidation number of chromium in potassium dichromate ?
a) + 2
b) + 3
c) + 6
d) – 4
41) Which of the following has the highest electrical conductivity ?
42) The leaching process is used to refine
a) Ag alone
b) Au alone
43) Which of the following is most abundant in the earth crust ?
44) Which is most amphoteric ?
45) The chief ore of aluminium is
46) Duraluminium is an alloy of
a) Al and Mg
b) Al,Mg and Ni
c) Al,Mg,Mn and Cu
d) Al and Ni
47) An ore of iron is
48) The most abundant ore of iron is
49) A blast furnace is used in the metallurgy of
50) Near the top of the blast furnace, iron oxides are reduced to spongy iron by
51) The molten iron withdrawn from the blast furnace is
a) Wrought iron
b) Pig iron
c) Bessemer iron
d) Stainless steel
52) The brown ring formed in the ring test of nitrates is due to
53) Which of the following is not correct ?
b) Rusting of iron is electrochemical in nature
c) Rusting of iron takes place in moist air
d) Rusting of iron produces hydrated iron (III) oxide.
54) If a red hot steel rod is suddenly immersed in water, the steel becomes
a) Soft and malleable
b) Hard and brittle
c) Tough and ductile
55) and exist as
56) Pig iron is also called
a) Cast iron
c) Wrought iron
d) Stainless steel
57) Which of the following is the impurest form of iron?
a) Bessemer iron
c) Pig iron
d) Wrought iron
58) Railway wagon axles are made by heating rods of iron embedded in charcoal powder. This process is known as
a) Case hardening
59) The alloy steel used for making automobile parts and utensils is called
a) Nickel steel
b) Stainless steel
c) Tungsten steel
d) Chromium steel
60) Wrought iron is manufactured from cast iron by heating it with
61) The carbon content of
a) Steel is in between that of cast iron and wrought iron
b) Cast iron is in between that of steel and wrought iron
c) Wrought iron is in between that of steel and cast iron
d) Steel is higher than that of pig iron
62) Wrought iron is resistant to rusting and corrosion due to the presence of
b) Low percentage of carbon
63) The cores of electromagnets are prepared from
a) Pig iron
c) Stainless steel
d) Wrought iron
64) Steel is manufactured from cast iron by the
a) Bessemer Process alone
b) Open Hearth Process alone
c) Electric Furnace Process alone
d) All the three.
65) If steel is heated to a temperature well below red heat and is then cooled slowly, the process is called
66) Nitriding of steel involves
a) Heating steel to 825-875 K in the presence of ammonia
b) Heating steel to 825-875 K in a current of nitrogen
c) Heating steel to red heat and then plunging it suddenly in ice- cold water
d) Heating steel to red heat and then cooling it slowly.
67) Stainless steel contains
68) Carbon in wrought iron is present as
a) Silicon carbide
b) Iron carbide
d) Partly as iron carbide and partly as graphite.
69) The alloy steel invar contains
a) Fe = 80%, Mn = 14%
b) Fe = 74%, Cr = 18%, Ni = 8%
c) Fe = 64%, Ni = 36%
d) Fe = 98-96%, Ni = 2-4%.
70) The alloy steel having the smallest coefficient of expansion is called
a) Nickel steel
b) Tungsten steel
c) Manganese steel
71) Green vitriol is
72) Which of the following is a primary standard in volumetric analysis ?
73) Chemically, rust of iron is
a) Hydrated ferrous oxide
b) Hydrated ferric oxide
c) Only ferric oxide
74) Ferrous and ferric ions in solution may be distinguished by a/an
a) Silver nitrate solution
b) Lead acetate solution
d) Sodium chloride solution
75) Which of the following iron salts exists as a dimer ?
a) Ferric chloride
b) Ferrous chloride
c) Ferrous sulphate
76) Copper is mainly extracted from
a) Copper pyrites
c) Copper glance
77) During roasting, copper pyrites are converted into a mixture of
78) Identify the metal M in the following reactions (Equations are unbalanced) .
The metal M is
79) Matte, the material obtained from the blast furnace during the metallurgy of copper, is a mixture of
80) The impure copper obtained from Bessemerization of molten matte is called
a) Blister copper
d) None of the above
81) The most suitable method for extraction of copper from a low grade sulphide ore is the
a) Smelting process
b) Leaching process
c) Electrolytic process
d) Hydrometallurgical process
82) In electrolytic refining of copper, which of the following metals present as impurity pass into solution ?
c) Zn only
d) Ni, Zn and Fe
83) The final step in the production of highly refined copper metal is
d) Electrolytic refining
84) The anode sludge or anode mud obtained during electrolytic refining of copper consists of
a) Zn, Fe
b) Zn, Ni
c) Ag, Au
d) Ag, Zn
85) The coinage metals are
a) Fe, Co and Ni
b) Cu and Zn
c) Cu, Ag and Au
d) Au and Pt
86) Which of the following metals (among Cu, Ag and Au) react with chlorine to form their respective chlorides?
a) Cu alone
b) Ag alone
c) Au alone
d) All three
87) The reaction, is called
88) The most convenient method for the extraction of silver from silver glance is
89) Silver is precipitated from an aqueous solution of sodium argentocyanide by adding
a) Zinc dust
b) Copper powder
c) Sodium amalgam
d) Sodium thiosulphate
90) Which of the following statements about electrolytic refining of silver is not true ?
a) Anode consists of impure silver
b) Cathode consists of pure silver
91) The process used for the extraction of gold is
a) Mac Arthur-Forest Cyanide Process
d) Liquation process
92) Gold dissolves in a solution of alkali cyanide in the presence of oxygen forming
93) Impurities of Cu and Ag from gold are removed by
d) Both (b) and (c)
94) Pure gold is
a) 18 Carat
b) 22 Carat
c) 14 Carat
d) 24 Carat
95) Gold jewellery is made from
a) 22 Carat gold
b) 24 Carat gold
c) 10 Carat gold
d) 14 Carat gold
96) In Plattners chlorine process for the extraction of gold, the reducing agent used is
b) Zn dust
c) Al powder
d) Cu metal
97) Which of the following is not an ore of copper?
a) Copper glance
98) The malachite ore of copper is
99) Constantan is an alloy of
a) Cu and Ni
b) Fe and Ni
c) Cu and Sn
d) Cu and Zn
100) An alloy which does not contain copper is
d) Bell metal
Ans 1) a
Ans Desc 1)
Ans 2) b
Ans Desc 2) Fe(CO)5.
Ans 3) a
Ans Desc 3) Red mercuric oxide on heating gives mercury and oxygen. 2HgO –>2Hg + O2
Ans 4) d
Ans Desc 4) Blue peroxide of Chromium is CrO5 which is formed during Lake test for detection of H2O2. H2O2 oxidises acidified K2Cr2O7 to give a blue lake of CrO5 in ether medium
Ans 5) b
Ans Desc 5) In dimethyl glyoxamato nickel(ii) nickel is in +2 oxidation state. Dimethyl glyoxime is a bidentate ligand, hence the co-ordination number is 4
Ans 6) c
Ans Desc 6)
Ans 7) b
Ans Desc 7) Cu SO4Â® Cu O+SO3
Ans 8) c
Ans Desc 8)
Ans 9) b
Ans Desc 9) Vulcanized paper is obtained by dipping paper in ZnCI2 solution. It is used for making fibre boards.
Ans 10) d
Ans Desc 10) There are 4 series of transition metals corresponding to the filling up of 3d,4d, 5d and 6d levels.
Ans 11) c
Ans Desc 11) Zn, Cd, Hg group of metals have(n-1)d10 ns2 configuration and they are not considered as transition metals
Ans 12) d
Ans Desc 12) K2MnO4, Potassium manganate is converted to KMnO4 by CI2
2K2MnO4 + CI2 Â®2KCI + 2KMnO4
Ans 13) d
Ans Desc 13)
Ans 14) d
Ans Desc 14) Lanthanides are not radioactive elements. Only exception is Promethium (Pm).
Ans 15) a
Ans Desc 15) The common oxidation state of Lanthanides is +3. Three elements Sa, Yb, Eu exhibit +2 oxidation state. You can remember this by(SaY Europe for plus two) Sa – Samarium, Y- for Ytterbium and Eu – for Europium.
Ans 16) c
Ans Desc 16) Mn exhibits +7 oxidation state in Mn2O7
Ans 17) c
Ans Desc 17) Depite the rather -ve standard reduction potential value of -0.74 V Chromium is quite inert chemically due to the formation of a protective oxide layer of Cr2O3
Ans 18) c
Ans Desc 18) Ni(CO)4 and Fe(CO)5 are examples of compounds in which the metal is in zero oxidation state
Ans 19) b
Ans Desc 19) 2 CuFeS2 + 4O2 Â® Cu2S + 2FeO + 3 SO2
Ans 20) b
Ans Desc 20)
Ans 21) b
Ans Desc 21) Corrosive sublimate is HgCI2. The compound is corrosive and also sublimable.
Ans 22) a
Ans Desc 22) ZnCI2 is used as a preservative for wood.
Ans 23) d
Ans Desc 23) Lanthanides can be separated by ion exchange methods.
Ans 24) a
Ans Desc 24) Memory metal is otherwise known as nitinol. It is an alloy of Nickel and Titanium. It is termed memory metal as springs etc made of this metal can regain its shape after deformation by bringing it back to the same temperature.
Ans 25) b
Ans Desc 25) In d-block elements, the last electron enters the d-orbital of the penultimate shell.
Ans 26) a
Ans Desc 26) np-subshell. After the filling of ns sub-shell next electron should have gone to np-subshell but it goes to (n-1) d subshell in accordance with Aufbau principle.
Ans 27) b
Ans Desc 27)
Ans 28) c
Ans Desc 28)
Ans 29) d
Ans Desc 29) For example, Cr2O3 + 2Al è Al2O3 + 2Cr involves Al2O3 formation and large amount of heat is evolved
Ans 30) c
Ans Desc 30) K2SO4.Al2(SO4)3.24H2O is potash alum
Ans 31) d
Ans Desc 31) B, In and Ga do not react with water.
Ans 32) a
Ans Desc 32) The greater the charge of Cr, the smaller is the ionic radius. The oxidation state of Cr in K2 Cr O4, CrO2, CrF3 and CrCl2 is +6,+4,+3,and +2 respectively.
Ans 33) d
Ans Desc 33)
Ans 34) b
Ans Desc 34)
Ans 35) c
Ans Desc 35) Kernels start vibrating and hence pull the electrons back.
Ans 36) c
Ans Desc 36)
Ans 37) b
Ans Desc 37)
Ans 38) a
Ans Desc 38)
Ans 39) b
Ans Desc 39) since the phosphates of a metal is MHPO4, therefore, metal M must be divalent, ie;, M2+. As a result, the formula of its chloride is MCl2.
Ans 40) c
Ans Desc 40) 2(+l) + 2x + 7(-2) = O or 2 + 2x – 14 = 0 or 2x= 12 or x = + 6.
Ans 41) c
Ans Desc 41) Ag has the highest electrical conductivity. It is the best conductor of electricity followed by Cu, Au, Cr, Al and Mg.
Ans 42) c
Ans Desc 42) Leaching is used in the extraction of both Ag and Au.
Ans 43) b
Ans Desc 43) Aluminium is most abundant metal in the earths crust
Ans 44) c
Ans Desc 44) Al2O3 is most amphoteric in nature. It reacts with acids as well as alkalies.
Ans 45) d
Ans Desc 45) The chief ore of Al is bauxite,
Ans 46) c
Ans Desc 46) Duraluminium alloy contains Al (95%), Cu (3%), Mn(1%), Mg(1%)
Ans 47) b
Ans Desc 47) Fe2O3.3 H2O is limonite, an ore of iron.
Ans 48) a
Ans Desc 48) Haematite (Fe2O3) is the most abundant ore of iron
Ans 49) b
Ans Desc 49) Reduction of Fe2O3 by CO, removal of slag and finally pig iron is obtained in a blast furnace.
Ans 50) b
Ans Desc 50) Near the top of the blast furnace only CO is present which reduces Fe2O3 to spongy iron.
Ans 51) b
Ans Desc 51) Molten iron taken off from the furnace is solidified to give blocks of iron called cast iron or pig iron.
Ans 52) c
Ans Desc 52) In the ring test for nitrates, the brown ring has the composition [Fe (H2O)5NO] SO4.
Ans 53) a
Ans Desc 53) Rusting of iron cannot be stopped by CO2.
Ans 54) b
Ans Desc 54) If red hot steel rod is suddenly immersed in water, the steel becomes hard and brittle and the process is called quenching.
Ans 55) b
Ans Desc 55) Both exist as polymers having formula and [structures.
Ans 56) a
Ans Desc 56)
Ans 57) c
Ans Desc 57) Pig iron is the most impure and contains 3-5% C besides Mn, Si, S and P as impurities.
Ans 58) a
Ans Desc 58) Heating rods of iron or steel embedded in charcoal powder is known as case hardening.
Ans 59) b
Ans Desc 59) Automobile parts and utensils are made from stainless steel (Fe + Cr + Ni + C).
Ans 60) c
Ans Desc 60) When cast iron is heated with Fe2O3, C and Mn are removed the resulting metal is wrought iron.
Ans 61) a
Ans Desc 61) Steel contains 0 . 1 -1 . 5% C i.e. in between the carbon content of cast iron (3-5%) and wrought iron (0.2-0.5%).
Ans 62) d
Ans Desc 62) Due to the presence of MnSiO3 and FePO4 as impurities (slag) wrought iron is resistant to rusting and corrosion.
Ans 63) d
Ans Desc 63) Wrought iron is used to make the cores of electromagnets
Ans 64) d
Ans Desc 64) Bessemer, open hearth and electric furnace processes are used to manufacture steel from cast iron.
Ans 65) a
Ans Desc 65) Heating steel to a temperature well below red heat and then cooling slowly is called annealing.
Ans 66) a
Ans Desc 66) Heating steel to 825-875 K in presence of NH3 is called nitriding.
Ans 67) a
Ans Desc 67) Stainless steel contains Fe + Cr + Ni besides a small amount of carbon.
Ans 68) d
Ans Desc 68) In wrought iron carbon is present as Fe3C (cementite) i.e. iron carbide and graphite.
Ans 69) c
Ans Desc 69) Invar contains iron (64%) and nickel (36%).
Ans 70) d
Ans Desc 70) Invar alloy has the smallest coefficient of expansion.
Ans 71) d
Ans Desc 71) FeSO4.7 H2O is called green vitriol.
Ans 72) b
Ans Desc 72) Mohrs salt, FeSO4.(NH4)2S04.6 H2O is a primary standard (i.e. pure and stable). On the other hand FeSO4 is always contaminated with Fe2 (SO4)3 .
NaOH is hygroscopic and always contains some moisture. HCI may lose some of HCI vapours on keeping. Thus they are not stable or pure and are not primary standards.
Ans 73) d
Ans Desc 73) Rust of iron contains Fe203 + Fe (OH)3.
Ans 74) c
Ans Desc 74) Acidified KMnO4 will oxidise Fe2+ to Fe3+ and its pink colour will be discharged. On the other hand if only ferric ions are present in solution, the colour of KMn04 colour remain as such.
Ans 75) a
Ans Desc 75) Fe2Cl6 is a covalent compound is which Fe has only 6 electrons and hence completes its octet by forming a coordinate bond with the chlorine atom of the other molecule. Hence it exists as a dimer.
Ans 76) a
Ans Desc 76) Copper is mainly extracted from copper pyrites
Ans 77) b
Ans Desc 77)
Ans 78) b
Ans Desc 78) Out of the metals mentioned , only Cu undergoes auto reduction.
Ans 79) d
Ans Desc 79) Matte is a mixture of
Cu2S + FeS + Coke + sand.
Ans 80) a
Ans Desc 80) On cooling bessemerised copper, the metal solidifies and the dissolved SO2 escapes leaving large blisters on the surface.
Ans 81) d
Ans Desc 81) Low grade sulphide ore of copper is (copper glance). Copper is extracted from this ore by hydrometallurgy
Ans 82) d
Ans Desc 82) Ni, Zn, Fe dissolve in dil. H2SO4 (electrolytic solution)
and pass into solution while Ag and Au, being noble, settle as anode mud
Ans 83) d
Ans Desc 83) Copper is refined by electrolytic refining.
Ans 84) c
Ans Desc 84) Ag and Au do not dissolve in dil. H2SO4 (electrolytic solution) and hence deposit as anode mud.
Ans 85) c
Ans Desc 85) Cu, Ag and Au are called coinage metals since they have been used in the past for manufacturing of coins for currency.
Ans 86) d
Ans Desc 86) Cu, Ag and Au react with CI2 to form their chlorides
Ans 87) d
Ans Desc 87) When the same ion undergoes oxidation and reduction, or self oxidation reduction reaction, it is called a dis-proportionation reaction.
Ans 88) b
Ans Desc 88) Ag is extracted from Ag2S most conveniently by hydrometallurgical process.
2 Ag2S + 8 NaCN + O2 + 2 H2O 4 Na [Ag (CN)2] + 4 NaOH + 2 S
2 Na [Ag (CN)2]+ Zn Na2 [Zn (CN)4]+2 Ag ↓
Ans 89) a
Ans Desc 89) 2Na[ Ag(CN)2] + Zn(dust) Na2[ Zn(CN4)] + 2Ag¯
Ans 90) d
Ans Desc 90) Electrolytic solution cannot consist of Ag N03 and HCI
because Ag will get precipitated as AgCI in the solution.
Ans 91) a
Ans Desc 91) Gold is extracted by the Mac Arthur-Forest cyanide process.
Ans 92) a
Ans Desc 92)
Ans 93) d
Ans Desc 93) Impurities of Cu and Ag from gold are removed by boiling impure gold with conc. H2SO4 and also by electrolytic method.
This method is called parting. Conc. HNO3 can also be used for this purpose.
Ans 94) d
Ans Desc 94) Purity of gold is expressed in terms of carats. Pure gold is 24 carats.
Ans 95) a
Ans Desc 95) Gold jewellery is made from 22 carat gold i.e., pure gold.
Ans 96) a
Ans Desc 96) FeSO4 acts as a reducing agent in this method.
Ans 97) d
Ans Desc 97) Corundum is Al2O3 which is not an ore of copper
Ans 98) d
Ans Desc 98)
Ans 99) a
Ans Desc 99) Constantan alloy contains Cu = 60% and Ni = 40%.
Ans 100) a
Ans Desc 100) Solder contains Sn = 50% and Pb = 50%.