Cellular Respiration MCQs JIPMER AIIMS AIPMT PMT MCAT NEET
1. NADP+is reduced to NADPH in
(a) HMP (b) Calvin Cycle
(c) Glycolysis (d) EMP.
2. R.Q. is ratio of
(a) CO2 produced to substrate consumed
(b) CO2 produced to O2 consumed
(c) oxygen consumed to water produced
(d) oxygen consumed to CO2 produced.
3. Connecting link between glycolysis and Krebs cycle in which pyruvate before entering Krebs’ cycle is changed to
(a) oxaloacetate (b) PEP
(c) pyruvate (d) acetyl CoA.
4. Terminal cytochrome of respiratory chain which transfers electrons to oxygen is
(a) Cyt b (b) Cyt c
(c) Cyt a, (d) Cyt a3.
5. Out of 36 ATP molecules produced per glucose molecule during respiration
(a) 2 are produced outside glycolysis and 34 during respiratory chain
(b) 2 are produced outside mitochondria and 34 inside mitochondria
(c) 2 during glycolysis and 34 during Krebs cycle
(d) All are formed inside mitochondria.
6. When yeast ferments glucose, the products obtained are
(a) ethanol and C02 (b) methanol and C02
(c) ethanol and water (d) water and C02.
7. In Krebs’ cycle, FAD participates as electron acceptor during the conversion of
(a) fumaric acid to malic acid
(b) succinic acid to fumaric acid
(c) succinyl CoA to succinic acid
(d) a-ketoglutarate to succinyl CoA.
8. Flow manyATP molecules could maximally be generated from one molecule of glucose, if the complete oxidation of one mole of glucose to CO2 and H2O yields 686 kcal and the useful chemical energy available in the high energy phosphate bond of one mole of ATP is 12 kcal?
(a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 30 (d) 57
9. TheTCA cycle is an oxidative pathway requiring oxygen for operation. The enzyme which consumes oxygen during the operation of the cycle is
(a) a-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase
(b) isocitrate dehydrogenase
(c) aconitase (d) none of the above.
10. Each molecule of IMADP release how many number of ATP molecules?
(a) 3 (b) 2 (c) 4 (d) 5.
11. Which one of the following is the first step of glycolysis?
(a) Breakdown of glucose
(b) Phosphorylation of glucose
(c) Conversion of glucose into fructose
(d) Dehydrogenation of glucose
12. In Krebs’ cycle GTP is formed in
(a) substrate level phosphorylation
(b) oxidative phosphorylation
(c) non-cydic photophosphorylation
(d) cyclic photophosphorylation.
13. Respiratory quotient (RQ) is one in case of
(a) fatty acids (b) nucleic acids
(c) carbohydrates (d) organic acids.
14. The chemiosmotic coupling hypothesis of oxidative phosphorylation proposes that adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is formed because
(a) a proton gradient forms across the inner membrane
(b) there is a change in the permeability of the inner mitochondrial membrane toward adenosine diphosphate (ADP)
(c) high energy bonds are formed in mitochondrial proteins
(d) ADP is pumped out of the matrix into the intermembrane space.
15. The crucial events in aerobic respiration are
(a) the complete oxidation of pyruvate by the stepwise removal of all the hydrogen atoms leaving three molecules of CO2
(b) the passing on of the electrons removed as part of the hydrogen atoms to molecular O2 with stimultaneous synthesis of ATP
(c) both (a) and (b) (d) none of these.
16. In glycolytic pathway which of the following steps shows reduction of co-enzyme ?
(a) 1, 3-diphosphoglycerate to 3-phosphoglycerate
(b) Glucose 6-phosphate to fructose 6-phosphate
(c) Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate to 1,3-diphospho- glycerate
(d) 3-phosphoglycerate to 2-phosphoglycerate
17.In citric acid cycle decarboxylation occurs when
(a) citric acid converts to a-ketoglutaric acid
(b) succinic acid converts to malic acid
(c) malic acid converts to oxaloacetic acid
(d) oxaloacetic acid converts to citric acid.
18. Which of these are respiratory poisons or inhibitors of ETC?
(a) Cyanides (b) Antimycin A
(c) Carbon monoxide (d) All of these