Various Types of Portable Microscopes Available for Professional Uses
A microscope is an important weapon used by scientists, microbiologists and clinical researchers. Without this weapon, it is unfeasible to scrutinize specimens that are not possible for a human being to see with his naked eyes. It helps in amplifying objects up to 1000x and till date it is the most significant part of biology lab and has helped millions in studying objects and expanding the field of science.
Different microscopes are known by variable ranges of focus
There are various types of portable microscopes available that have different purposes of usage and have also helped in the major discoveries of the world till date. One of them used extensively is the light microscope and is also known as optical microscopes. The eyepiece can magnify objects up to 10 x to 16 x and are a type of compound microscope. It is primarily used in the field of physiology, biology and anatomy to study metal samples, microorganism, plants and small animals. Light microscopes have the capability to amplify objects up to 1500x. The newer inventions in this have resulted in better resolution to study the specimens easily.
Yet another type of microscope that is considered the primitive form of the light microscope is the single lens or simple microscope. It uses a single lens for amplifying specimens and uses convex lens.
Most microscopes are used by professionals in lab studies, but there is a type that is also used in colleges and schools and is also the most commonly used portable microscope, the compound microscope. It can provide up to 2000x amplification and uses two optical parts called the objective lens and the ocular lens. It is used to study a wide variety of animals, plant cells, protozoa, bacteria, algal etc. They are generally larger and heavier compared to light microscopes and use an additional set of lenses to project the light into the eye.
Some of the most popular types of microscopes available are as follows:
- Stereo or dissecting microscopes are portable microscopes have a little magnification power and are light powered like compound microscopes. It is considered a special type of microscope because, it is capable of visualizing 3 dimensional projection of objects and have a comparatively better magnification power than compound microscopes.
- SEM or the scanning electron microscopes use the medium of electrons to visualize images instead of using light to generate an image. These also display 3 dimensional images but with better magnification and higher resolution.
- Just like the SEM microscopes the TEM or transmission electron microscopes are portable microscopes that use electrons to generate images instead of light. These types of microscopes are able to generate 2 dimensional images but have high resolution and amplifying images.
- A digital microscope generate up to 1000x magnification and uses the optical lenses as well as CMOS and CCD. It has a 2 million pixel camera and has a 15 inch monitor. It produces high quality images and can also be recorded.
- A special type of microscope that facilitates in scattering of light is the dark field microscope. It is generally used to monitor live spirochetes. It can replicate the light off an object at an angle which allows observing specimens even in a dark background.
Summary: Since the major invention of portable microscopes, it has turned to be an important tool for studying organisms and various other specimens.