Types of Microscopes
Types of Microscopes
A microscope is probably most useful device in research and development fields. A number of discoveries have been possible with its help. With a magnifying capacity of up to 50000x a microscope helps in understanding core components of an object’s.
There are different types of microscope used for various purposes. They work in varied ways to give outputs. Some may use x-ray beams to create an image. Some of the devices use sound waves to create an object image. This device can be divided into two parts mainly.
- Light microscope
- Electron microscope.
What is light microscope?
It is a magnifying device which with the help of natural light produces the image of an object. It is basically used for academic purposes in class laboratories and university research centers. But due to its increasing cost most of its features is still not known to various people. The common types of light microscopes are:
- Bright field microscope- Said to be the most common type in light microscope category. It can be easily found in classrooms. It uses the natural light from any source to help create an image of an object when it is directed towards the lens.The lens is known as a condenser. This brings the focus of the light of the objective lens and passing it through a magnifying lens straight to the eyepiece.
- Dark field microscope- Mostly used for biological researches. An opaque disk must be placed before the test. In this device the light doesn’t pass through directly from the magnifying lens. The light scattering particles help in creating the image of an object.
- Phase contrast microscope- It is regarded as one of the most useful devices for carrying out researches and examining biological specimens. It changes the wavelengths of light to create an image. An increase in wavelength gives out clearer and bigger image one gets.
- Nomarsski microscope- Counted among most advance types of instruments produces outstanding 3d images of an object. A polarizer is set through which light is passed to produce light waves. These waves then pass through a prism before finally reaching the condenser.
What is an electron microscope?
These are believed to be the most advance kind of devices to be used in modern science. It uses electron beams to create an image. The common types of electron microscopes are:
- Transmission electron microscope- It is first electron microscope to be invented. When the electrons beams pass through an object, the data collected is shown onto a computer screen attached to it.
- Scanning electron microscope- It helps to view the object in 3dimensions in high resolution. They produce sharp and high quality images. It is used for gathering information on morphology and topography.
- Reflection electron microscopes- It is quite similar to scanning electron microscopes. Use of low energy electrons are used to create an image.
- Scanning transmission electron microscope- It also uses an electron for producing an image. Used for acute magnifying for nano size particles. But it is very costly to maintain, and they are extremely responsive to magnets and vibrations.
Thus one can get an idea about the common types of microscope used in various fields. It’s time for you now to choose which ones fit your need properly.