Classification Elements and Periods in Properties MCQs – 2
1) Which of the following pairs does not show a diagonal relationship?
a) Li and Mg
b) Be and Al
c) B and Si
d) C and S
2) Which one of the following elements is a metalloid?
3) Germanium is a
d) Transition element
4) The element with the electronic configuration as [Ar]3d10 4s2 4p3 represents a
d) Transition element
5) Which atomic number out of the following cannot be accommodated in the present setup of the long form of the periodic table?
6) An element with the atomic number 114 must exhibit properties similar to those of
7) An element with atomic number 106 has been discovered recently. Which of the following electronic configurations will it possess?
8) The next noble gas if discovered will have an atomic number of
9) Which of the following sets contains the symbols for several elements whose physical and chemical properties should be similar to those of S?
a) O, Se, Te, Po
b) Hg, Sn, O, Cl
c) Mg, Ca, P, N
d) O, Al, Te, Ar
10) The long form of the periodic table is based on the
a) Shape of the atom
b) Mass of the atom
c) Atomic number of the atom
11) Who developed the long form of the periodic table ?
a) Lother Meyer
b) Niels Bohr
12) The basis of the modern periodic table is.
a) Atomic weight
b) Atomic number
c) Atomic volume
d) Atomic energy
13) According to the periodic law, the chemical properties of elements are the periodic functions of their
b) Atomic Number
c) Mass number
d) Atomic mass
14) The periodic table of the elements does not
a) Include the inert gases
b) Tell us the arrangement of atoms in a molecule
c) Permit us to make an accurate guess about the properties of undiscovered elements
d) Reveal regularities in the occurrence of elements with similar properties
15) Periodicity in the properties of elements is due to.
a) a regular increase in atomic weights of elements.
b) Successive increase in the atomic number of elements.
c) Periodicity in the electron configuration of atoms of elements.
d) Existence of families of elements.
16) The law of octaves applies to the following set of elements.
a) B, N, C
b) Be, Mg, Ca
c) Ar, K, Ca
d) Se, Te, As
17) The long form of the periodic table has.
a) 8 horizontal and 8 vertical rows
b) 7 horizontal and 18 vertical rows
c) 10 horizontal and 14 vertical rows
d) 14 horizontal and 10 vertical rows
18) The phrase “periodicity in the properties of elements” means that when elements are arranged in the increasing order of their atomic weights or atomic numbers, similar elements
a) Recur after a fixed interval
b) Recur after certain regular intervals
c) Form vertical groups
d) Form horizontal rows
19) Which among the following is largest in size?
20) Which property of halogens decreases from F to I?
b) First ionization energy
c) Bond length in the molecule
21) Which group of atoms have nearly the same atomic radius?
b) Li, Be, B, C.
c) Fe, Co, Ni, Cu.
d) F,Cl, Br, I.
22) Which set has a strong tendency to form anions?
a) Ca, In, Te
b) Na, Mg, Al
c) N,O, F
d) V. Cr, Mn
23) of Mg are 178 and 348 k cal . The energy required for the reaction , Mg —-> Mg2+ is +170 kcal.
b) +526 kcal.
c) -170 kcal
d) -526 kcal.
24) Which of the following is not the correct order of increasing ionization energy?
a) Ar<ne<he< font=””>
c) N<c<b< font=””>
d) Cs<rb<k< font=””>
25) Which of the following is more acidic?
26) In the II period the most acidic oxide is formed by
27) The alkali metals in each period have the
a) Smallest size
b) Lowest IP
c) Highest IE
d) Highest electronegativity
28) The gradual addition of electronic shells in the noble gases causes a decrease in their
a) Ionization energy
b) Atomic radius
c) Boiling point
29) Among the elements given below, the most electropositive one is.
30) Which of the following has the larger size?
31) In the periodic table, the ionization potential of elements in a group decreases from top to bottom because of:
a) Increase in densities
b) Decrease in chemical reactivities
c) Increase in atomic size
d) Decrease in electronegativities
32) Which of the following species has the highest ionization potential?
33) Which among the following is the largest cation?
34) The correct order of the first IP is
35) Which of the following is amphoteric?
36) Which of the following has the smallest size?
37) The first ionisation potential (eV) of Be and B respectively are.
a) 8.29, 9.32
b) 9.32, 8.29
c) 9.32, 9.32
d) 8.29, 8.29
38) The correct order of electron affinity of a gaseous atom of B, C, N, and O is
39) Which of the following ionic radii would be maximum?
40) The radius of F, O, and are in the order
41) Which of the following elements has the smallest size?
42) Which of the following is a more electropositive element ?
43) Which of the following has the highest first ionization potential?
44) Which of the following configuration represents atoms of an element with the highest third ionization energy?
45) In the periodic table, with the increase in atomic number the metallic character of the element
a) Decreases in a period and increases in a group
b) Increases in a period and decreases in a group
c) Increases both in a period and a group
d) Decreases both in a period and a group
46) Among the following configurations which one of the following configurations shows the highest electron affinity?
47) The size of the species,
48) Which of the following configurations is associated with the biggest jump between 2nd and 3rd IE?
49) Which of the following does not reflect the periodicity of elements?
a) Bonding behaviour
c) Ionization potential
d) Neutron/proton ratio
50) Which of the following metals requires radiation of highest frequency to cause the emission of electrons?
51) The chloride of an element A gives neutral solution in water. The element in the periodic table belongs to the
a) 1st group
b) III group
c) V group
d) 1st transition series
52) Which of the following elements will have the lowest value of IE1?
53) Of the given alkali metals, the one with the smallest size is
54) With which of the following configurations is the lowest value of first IE associated?
55) Which of the following values (eV) represent the first ionization energies of an oxygen and a nitrogen atom respectively?
a) 14.6, 13.6
b) 13.6, 14.6
c) 13.6, 13.6
d) 14.6, 14.6
56) The atomic radii of fluorine and neon in units are given by
a) 0.72, 1.60
b) 1.60, 0.72
c) 1.60, 1.60
57) Which of the following is an energy releasing process?
58) Which of the following process refers to ?
59) The covalent radius of chlorine is
a) Half the Cl-Cl bond length
b) Equal to the Cl-Cl bond length
c) Half the distance between the centres of the nuclei of Cl- atoms of adjacent molecules
d) Twice the Cl-Cl bond length.
60) Which is not different for an atom and its corresponding ion?
a) Nuclear charge
b) chemical properties
c) The size
d) The number of electrons
61) The IE of Al is smaller than that of Mg because
a) the atomic size of Al>Mg
b) Atomic size of Al<mg< font=””>
c) The IE in Al pertains to the removal of the p-electron which is relatively easy
62) Which of the following elements represents a highly electropositive as well as electronegative element in its period?
63) Compared to the first ionization potential, the value of the 2nd ionization potential of an element is
64) The most probable reason that the alkaline earth metals give dipositive ions instead of unipositive ions is that
d) none of the above
65) From the ground state electronic configuration of the elements given below, pick up the ion with the highest value of 2nd IE .
66) The elements of the same group of the periodic table have the same
a) Number of protons
b) valence shell
c) number of valence electrons
d) electron affinity
67) Which of the following species has the same number of electrons in its outermost as well as penultimate shell?
68) The elements which occupy the peaks of the ionization energy curve are:
a) Alkali metals
c) Noble gases
d) Alkaline earth metals
69) The ionization energy decreases while moving down the group because the
a) Nuclear charge increases
b) Atomic size and nuclear charge increases
c) Nuclear charge increases and the shielding effect increases
d) Atomic size increases and the shielding effect also decreases.
70) Electronegativity refers to the tendency of atoms to
a) Lose electrons
b) Repel electrons
c) Share electrons with other atoms
d) Attract bonding electrons
71) The electron affinity of Be is similar to that of
72) The covalent radius of Li is 123 Pm. The crystal radius of lithium will be
73) The screening effect of d-electrons is
a) equal to that of the p-electrons
b) much more than that of the p-electrons
c) same as that of the f-electrons
d) less than that of the p-electrons
74) Which of the following statements is correct?
a) The ionic radius of a metal is generally less than that of its atomic radius.
b) The ionic radii of non-metals is generally greater than their ionic radii.
c) The ionic radius of a metal is almost the same as its atomic radius.
d) the ionic radius of a metal is greater than its atomic radius.
75) The first ionization potential of calcium is greater than that of potassium because
a) The effective nuclear charge is higher
b) The electron is removed from an s-subshell
c) The electron is removed from a circular shell
d) The removal of an electron does not give a noble gas configuration.
76) The solubility product of calcium phosphate is given by the expression
77) The one with the largest size is
78) Which of the following statements concerning atomic size is correct?
a) Atomic size decreases down a group
b) Atomic size decreases along a period
c) the radius of a cation is more than that of the atom
d) the radius of the anion is less than that of the atom.
79) Group number and valency has no relation in
a) Zero group
b) First group
c) IIIrd group
d) VII group
80) In which of the following pairs is the IE of the first species less than that of the second?
81) Atoms with a high value of IE always have
a) a large atomic radius
b) a small atomic radius
c) Strongly bound valence electrons
d) Loosely bound valence electrons
82) The electronic configuration of Gadolinium is
83) ion is iso-electronic with
84) The of an element are, 7.1, 14.3, 34.5. 46.8. and 162.2 eV respectively. The element is likely to be
85) The correct order of elements in the decreasing order of first ionisation energy is
86) The ionisation potential in a period is maximum in the case of
a) alkali metals
b) representative elements
d) inert gases
87) Which among the following has the minimum electronegativity?
88) The metallic property in the periodic table
a) Decreases from left to right in a period and on going from top to bottom in a group
b) Increases from left to right in a period and from top to bottom in a group
c) Increases from left to right in a period and decrease from top to bottom in a group
d) Decreases from left to right in a period and increases from top to bottom in a group.
89) The most metallic among the following is
90) The difference between the electronegativities of two elements represents
a) the bond length
b) the size of the anion
c) the size of the cation
d) the nature of the bond formed between them.
91) The basic nature of oxides in a group of the periodic table ——– in a group on moving down.
c) Remains constant
d) Changes irregularly
92) An element with high electronegativity
a) Has a high ionisation energy
b) a high electron affinity
c) Is a non-metal
d) All are correct.
93) Which one of the following group of atoms or ions is not iso-electronic?
d) K+, Ne, Ca2+
94) Among the following elements, the one with the maximum covalent radius is
c) Mn, Fe
d) Co, Ni
95) Due to the internal screening effect of electrons by the nucleus,
a) the ionisation potential decreases
b) the ionisation potential increases
c) there is no change in the ionisation potential
d) the attraction of the nucleus on the electrons increases
96) Because of the increase in the effective nuclear charge on isoelectronic species,
a) the I.P increases
b) the I.P decreases
c) the I.P remains unchanged.
d) None of these
97) The ionic radius of less than that of because,
a) The Mg atom has less neutrons in comparison to Al atom
b) The nuclear charge on Al3+ is less than that on Mg2+
c) They are of different electronegativities
d) Al has a lower I.P than Mg.
98) In the periodic table, the atomic radii of elements… … from right to left.
c) remains constant
d) first decreases, then increases
99) In each period of the periodic table, the alkali metals
a) Have the smallest size
b) Have the smallest I.P
c) Have the maximum I.P
d) Have the maximum electronegativity
100) The ionic radii of the isoelectronic species, are in the order
a) 1.36, 1.40, 1.71
b) 1.36,1.71, 1.40
c) 1.71, 1.40, 1.36
d) 1.71, 1.36, 1.40